Tuesday 14 May 2013

Families are just great.  Last weekend we had an awesome family get together in celebration of my Dad and Mum's 50th Wedding Anniversary.  It was great to see cousins get reacquainted, and to see the interaction between the different generations.

Lots of games were played over the weekend. Shulbok was a huge hit, and so was the ten-pin bowling.  We saw slides from the 'good old days', did lots of talking, laughing,  good eating and heaps of photos were taken - only not by me even though we did have the camera with us.  I'll share some when I get some to share :0)

Roy did very well over the weekend - he didn't throw up once while we were away.  He slept well and  he was pretty mobile as he now has a walker.  The hospice nurse came and dropped a walker off just before we went away and Roy now wonders how he did without it.  Walking is becoming much harder because of the pain in his hips and lower back.  It is also handy to have a seat with him to sit on when he feels he can't walk any further.

Roy was very tired when we finally got home on Sunday afternoon, and has pretty much slept since then.  Even as I type he is asleep  again in his chair.  He reckons he needs to sleep just so he has the energy to do those mundane things he needs to do like shower and go to the toilet.  :0(

On Friday the hospice nurse thought Roy might need another blood transfusion and seeing the way he is I'm thinking she's right.  We need to get a blood test done to see what the bloods are up to.  There is talking of having these done regularly.

Although he didn't throw up over the weekend it hasn't gone away and he has still been having bouts since we got home.

My sister in law (who lost her husband - Roy's oldest brother - last year) asked me recently if I was ready.

Wow that is a HUGE question.

Am I ready to see the end of Roy's suffering, as this terrible, terrible disease saps the life out of him and eats him away inside - yes.

Am I ready to loose the man I love and planned to grow old with - no.

Am I ready for the loneliness - no.

Am I ready to face the future alone - no.

And yet I know I will survive, God has plans for my life, and I can trust and take comfort in the fact that He will give me all I need to face the future.

I also take comfort in the knowledge that Roy will be going 'home' when the time comes, that his suffering will be over and he will be joining the throng praising our Father in Heaven.  What better place to be.


Below is Roy's favourite hymn, written by Willian Kuipers in 1932 and based on Revelation 4:6.  It is a beautiful glimpse of heaven.



By the sea of crystal, saints in glory stand,
Myriads in number, drawn from every land,
Robed in white apparel, washed in Jesus’ blood,
They now reign in heaven with the Lamb of God.

Out of tribulation, death and Satan’s hand,
They have been translated at the Lord’s command.
In their hands they’re holding palms of victory;
Hark! the jubilant chorus shouts triumphantly:

“Unto God Almighty, sitting on the throne,
And the Lamb, victorious, be the praise alone,
God has wrought salvation, He did wondrous things,
Who shall not extol Thee, holy King of Kings?”


Well that's it for tonight I think.  Thanks again for all your prayers, love, support and gifts.

Love and blessings
Jolanda

PS: Had another open home on Sunday and one couple who came through came for a second look on Monday.  They seem very interested so coveting your prayers :0) (editied: did read cross your fingers)

3 comments:

  1. Think I will pray rather than cross my fingers! Seems to have better results ;) Thanks for opening your heart my dear friend, it sure helps us know how and what to pray!! love you xx Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a huge question. I dont think we can ever be ready no matter how much we 'think' we are prepared.... I do rememeber clearly right at the end, a fellow cancer sufferer told me I had to tell him it was 'ok to go' - that I would be alright, he died a few hours afterwards. I think he was waiting for me to say that..... keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers as usual xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jolanda, praying for you & yours!May God grant you the peace & grace you need today. May you find in Him your rest, like a baby who has just had its fill at mummy's breast and is now much at peace - so much that it fell asleep in the greatest trust that it is in good hands! For this picture, cf. Ps 131
    My heart is not proud, O LORD,
    my eyes are not haughty;
    I do not concern myself with great matters
    or things too wonderful for me.
    2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
    like a weaned child with its mother,
    like a weaned child is my soul within me.

    3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
    both now and forevermore.

    Blessings,

    Pieter v H



    The Holy Bible: New International Version. 1984 (Ps 131:1–3). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

    ReplyDelete